Numerous studies confirm that moving home is one of the most stressful events that people encounter. One of the things you can do to relieve some of the stress is to be very well prepared. The following are some of the things you should do when moving home – here is your very own moving home checklist
Who do you tell?
Of course you cannot just get up and move away without informing some people. You should let the following people know that you are moving home, maybe using a stock email with your new address and contact details.
- Your internet service provider, telephone provider, and Cable TV Company
- Your building society, bank, pension provider, and any other lenders or companies you have investments with
- Store card and credit card companies
- The municipality
- The domestic revenue office
- Magazines you have subscribed to, charities, etc.
- Your children’s schools
- The department of motor vehicles
- Family, friends, and colleagues
What to do on the day of moving home
1. Before moving clear out and have a jumble sale, label all boxes accurately to make unpacking easy
2. Switch off all electricity, gas, light, sprinklers and geyser before you leave – hand over your old keys to the new owners
3. If you are using a moving company, give the foreman your new house’s layout so that everything can be put in the right place. Measure the spaces in your new home to ensure this furniture will fit where you want it to
4. Make sure that every item that was included when you bought/rented your new house is present. These things include carpets, curtains, light fittings, etc. Also ensure that electricity and phone lines are activate from the day you move in
5. For extra security, consider having the locks in your new home changed.
6. When you have finally completed moving home, you will most probably be exhausted. Collapse on the sofa, order some food and pop open a bottle of champagne.
You don’t have to do all the work when moving home. You can hire a moving specialist who can handle everything including transferring utilities, making change of address cards, hiring a removal firm, and much more.
Have a look below for another view on moving house checklist: